Having a spray tan is a great way to look tanned instantly. At Bare we use an organic high quality rapid spray tan – meaning you can shower from 2-4 hours after application (no more messy sheets!). Our spray tans provide a beautiful golden colour not matter what your skin type. Spray tanning involves a high powered spray gun which is used to apply the spray tan in a mist all over your body. Included in the solution is a bronzing agent which means that the therapist can see exactly where they have been to ensure a nice even coverage, and also means that you walk away 15minutes later looking fabulous!
Our spray tans have the following benefits:
• Develop in as little as 2-4 hours – so no more spray-tan sheets and waiting overnight for your tan to appear!
• Awesome colour – definitely no orange, and very natural – with a range of shades to choose from.
• Organic DHA – perfect for sensitive skin and eco-friendly.
• All natural, no parabens, sulphates or alcohol
• Infused with argan oil for extra hydration
• Smells divine – no chemical odor, just a hint of honey (really!)
• Fantastic range of take home products – well priced, great packaging and everything you need to maintain your tan once you leave the salon.
• Lasts 5-10 days.
What you need to consider ahead of your spray tanning appointment.
• Make sure you shower and exfoliate well the day before or day of your spray tan. We 100% recommend the Dermalogica Ultimate Buffing Cloth as the perfect pre-spray tan exfoliater. These can be purchased from Bare Skin Centres.
• Do not apply any moisurisers or fragrances after showering as these can form a barrier to the spray tan solution and will reduce the ability to apply an even colour all over.
• If you normally wax, make sure you do this at least 1 to 2 days before your tanning treatment.
• If you normally shave, make sure you do this prior to coming in.
• Wear loose, dark clothes to your appointment as you don’t want anything tight that will rub where the tan is developing on your skin. For females – if you can go without a bra afterward for a couple of hours, all the better.
• Bring jandals or similar open-toed shoes to wear afterward.
The better you care for your spray tan, the longer it will last. Here are some tips and advice on ensuring that you get the most out of your treatment with us.
• Ideally wait 2-4 hours after the spray tan as been applied before you shower – the longer you leave it the the darker the tan will develop (do not leave on for longer than 6 hours though as it may over-process)
• Try not to get caught in the rain following your appointment as raindrops may distort where the tan has been applied and you may end up with small white dots where the rain has landed.
• Likewise, avoid washing your hands or feet following your treatment until the 2 hour mark has been reached.
• Try not to get too hot and sweaty immediately afterward (no gym sessions or running until after you have showered!).
• Until you shower, wear loose baggy clothes to ensure the tan can develop freely and not be rubbed off by tight waistbands or bra straps.
• Once you have showered, you will notice the bronzer washing away, leaving you looking tanned and glowing underneath. From this point on hydration is the key! Please note: the tan will continue to develop even after the shower, so do not be alarmed if you’re not as tanned as you expect to be.
• The tan will continue to develop over the next 12-24 hours.
• Keep skin well moisturised following your treatment as this will increase the longevity of the tan as well as ensuring that it fades evenly and doesn’t become patchy.
• Try and use a non-abrasive skin wash so that the tan is not stripped away by the chemicals in your soap or shower gels.
• Utilise our after-care products to extend the life and quality of your tan.
Q: Do I have to get naked?
A: As the spray tan needs to be applied by a therapist, you will need to get undressed to some degree. We provide the option of a disposable g-string, although you are welcome to wear your own underwear if that makes you feel more comfortable. Or nothing at all if you don’t want any bikini lines.
Q: Can I have a bikini or brazilian wax on the day of my spray tan?
A: We don’t recommend this for two reasons – firstly the wax residue means that it is difficult to apply the spray tanning solution evenly to the waxed areas. Secondly, because your pores will have opened slightly during the wax, we don’t think it’s a good idea to spray any solutions directly on the skin at that point. We recommend you have you waxing done the day before if possible.
Q: I’m having the spray tan done for a wedding or other special occasion and am worried as I’ve never had one before. How can I be sure I will like it?
A: We recommend coming in for a practice tan 2 or 3 weeks before the big day. That way you have an opportunity to see what it’s like, feel comfortable with the therapist and rebook with the same person prior to the actual event. Also, make sure the therapist knows when the wedding is as we will be able to advise on the best timings to do your spray tan (especially if you’re fitting it around manicure and pedicure appointments as well as the many other commitments you may have on the days leading up to your event).
Q: How do I avoid a ‘bad spray tan’?
A: Everyone has heard of someone having a not so great spray tan experience. Generally there are 4 possible reasons for this: Lack of therapist experience, poor-quality spray tan solution, a cheap spray tanning machine…or not following the before and after-care advice. No matter where you have your spray tan done, you should feel comfortable enough to ask your therapist how much experience they have with spray tanning. It takes a while to be consistently great delivering spray tan treatments which is often why you hear about bad experiences. We do everything we possibly can to ensure that every single tan we provide is an awesome one. At Bare it generally takes at 3-6 months with a new therapist before we let them loose with a spray tan machine on clients!